Friday, July 19, 2013

Theistic Therapy

There is no such thing as coincidences. I was listening to the radio on Wednesday as I was driving to my mentoring group and I heard something that I wanted to share.  I am grateful that I turned the radio station to Classical 89 and that I was able to listen to this for the whole program. 

After my diagnosis I remember that in the beginning when I received counseling I had some therapists that would address the physchological side of the disease and helped me understand the questions I had about how it affected me spiritually. I will blog more about this in an upcoming post. I have also had therapists who for one reason or another didn't address the spiritual aspect of my life. Because of my beliefs I am very much a spiritual person and I would get extremely frustrated with these therapists. I didn't feel that I could progress and receive the help that I needed. The relationship just didn't work for me or for them. 

This is why I am very grateful for the LDS Family Services that my church provides. (LDS is short for Latter Day Saint another nickname like Mormon, but the full name of my church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). I have been able to work through issues I have had with this disease. My last therapist would occasionally speak with my psychiatrist and to me this is ideal. I recommend having your health care professionals on the same team and working together to determine what would be the best way to care for and help you.

Here is the podcast for that I mentioned. You can also go to their Classical 89's website to listen to other podcasts. They have some called "The Autistic Brain," "Genetic Influences on Behavior," and some others that sounded interesting.











No comments: