Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Circumstances are Aids to a "More Rapid Progress."

My husband shared this quote from with me yesterday that I really liked. 


"And when a [woman] adapts [her] mind to 
[the hidden justice which regulates her life she] 
ceases to kick against circumstances, 
but begins to USE them as aids to [her] more rapid progress."


-James Allen "As a Man Thinketh" 


What circumstances would I change? Well, with my finite understanding of the purpose of my depression right now I would change it in a heartbeat for something else! But,...now that I am ceasing to kick against it, my progress towards healing is more rapid and the happiness and joy that I experience is more prevalent in my life. Why do I experience more happiness? Because my God strengthens me to bear this burden with greater ease, I am more proactive about my health and recovery and I know I need to help others in similar struggles with mental illness. It's not easy, is it? Sometimes I get tired of having to fight off feelings of emptiness and sadness and wish it would just go away but I realize this trial is helping to mold and shape my character. What kind of person will I become because of it? Will I choose bitterness and hopelessness? Or, will I take care of myself and rely on my Savior to guide me towards healing? The answer to this question has eternal consequences and rewards. I know that Christ is my literal Savior and has placed the right people in my path who have helped and are helping me through this trial.

Elder Neil A. Maxwell, a former leader of my church who has since passed away, said, "Since we are here to be thus proved, how can that occur except we are tested? If we are to learn to choose wisely, how can that occur except there be alternatives? If our soul is to be stretched, how can that happen without growing pains?...When anciently we shouted for joy in anticipation of this mortal experience, we did not then think it would be an ordinary, pedestrian thing at all. We sensed the impending high adventure."

Below, you can view his testimony of Christ as the Creator of our world.




No comments: