Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Guest Blogger: Jenni Black

Jenni is my amazing friend who after just calling her to "catch up" I ended up learning so much about food and how it affects mood (like depression), how we feel energy wise, and our overall health. Rather than feel overwhelmed like I did when making a lifestyle change (diets don't work, lifestyle changes do!), she gives a lot of great suggestions. She is one of the sister chefs on eShefe' which has yummy recipes that are healthy! 

View and like their page on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-eShefe/235479973202090 


Hi, my name is Jenni! I love eating and learning about food and how it effects our bodies. When we begin to change what we eat, we are changing ourselves.
My sister who loves learning and sharing what she learns about food said once, "If we add understanding to our changing, then there will be a greater chance of lifelong success. It's a mind and heart thing too. Everything we have eaten has effected every cell in our body. And to get understanding about this effect is crucial. Otherwise you are just a robot and I'm telling you what to do. Trust yourself and the pace you want to take. But above all, get understanding as you move forward!"How do we get understanding? What does it look like? Is there a specific way to go about it? I'm not sure if there is a formula that is set in stone, but let me offer a few suggestions.
1. Ask questions- Lots of them, easy ones, hard ones, and ones you think you already know the answer to. Grab a notebook and let it be your 'Wonder About" place. Challenging the status quo of food will lead you to the truth. Either to keep eating what you are eating, wean yourself off, or stop-cold.
2. Do a little research. It's kinda like taking a college course, where you learn something totally new to you. This course involves reading, (books, websites) listening to speakers or watching informative youtube videos and movies. There is optional time outside of books to practice in the lab. The lab (personal kitchen) is open almost all the time and you have to gather the materials (grocery trip!) to test out the experiments. No midterms or finals. No teacher giving out grades. You are in charge of your personal progress. Lucky you! Our improving health becomes the ongoing grade that acts as a catalyst!
3. Enjoy the journey! It is an adventure! I was thinking a while ago...if I could have chosen to be Stephenie Meyer (and write 4 bestselling novels and be a millionaire and live in a perfect house-ok, insert own covet here) OR, to have learned about how food effects my body and how to make delicious tasting healthy food, which would I choose? Not even a second thought. It's affected my be-ing that much. Embracing food learning is a path I would have chosen a million times over.
4. Be open to miracles. Everyday that I live I feel is a miracle. Knowing the simplicity and complexity of the body-food connection and to use that to your advantage...Again I say, hidden treasures of knowledge, God says He will give them, and He does. They will be personal miracles in your life.
Point? Food effects you. Learn about food. Food can heal.
Good luck on your journey!!
-Jenni
You can't help but feel happy
when you are around Jenni.
This is a cute picture
of her and her hubbie.

No comments: