Friday, September 20, 2013

WARRIOR against Depression

***(I began this post several months ago and it's been in my drafts folder)...

My oldest said something today that about broke my heart.
We were watching the news when a segment about suicide came on. 
I'm the type of mom who likes to preview the things that my children watch so I shut the TV off (I was paying attention to how what she was watching affected her and gauging her reaction I made that decision).

My daughter looked at me and said, "I hope that you find a cure so, you know, you don't die at age 54 [like that dad did]."

She was holding back a lot of emotion as she said it.
(This was a little insight to what is going on in that cute little head of hers)
I gently held her face in my hands as I told her,

"I am a warrior against depression.
 This is something that I will have for the rest of my life
 and I am okay with that.

I know that I was a fierce warrior in the war in heaven (you can read more about that here, here, or here) against the adversary. My Heavenly Father knew and trusted that I would be able to face dark feelings that depression brings. I know that I will be able to help thousands of people here who also face what I have."

A couple of days ago she was giving the family prayer and she prayed, 

"Please bless Momma, that her depression will go away."

Lou Lou, my depression is not going to go "away" but I will be strengthened and empowered to be a valiant warrior in my battle against this disease.



So, my readers...
REMEMBER that you too are FIERCE warriors in your daily battle. Know that your true strength lies in your trust in your Savior, Jesus Christ. Don't you dare give up. There are so many family members and friends on the other side in heaven and here on earth who are rooting for your success.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely story. bless your little girl. a good reason to be a warrior and battle on against mental illness x

Unknown said...

You bet she is!

Shauna said...

I'm so grateful to be surrounded by and inspired by warriors like yourself Amber!

Unknown said...

You are so nice, Shauna! Thank you for your kind words.