Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How to Break Depression Cycles: Empty your Bucket

I once had it explained to me that everyone has an empty bucket per say that fills up with different stressors throughout the day. For those with a mental illness like bipolar we wake up in the morning with our buckets half full already. We physically, emotionally and spiritually need to be watchful of the stressors we face so we don't trigger anxiety or depression. So how do I empty my bucket so that I feel balanced in my life?

Blogging definitely helps.

Writing down old emotions gets them out of my head so I don't constantly dwell on them and become depressed.

Depression feeds on negativity and grows exponentially.

There is a strong temptation to mask how I am feeling (through excessive amounts of TV & reading) when I am depressed. I think this may be the reason why so many of those who suffer from a mental illness also suffer from addictions to drugs and other things.

I also hide.


In the past I have usually hid from the emotion and isolated myself from other people.


So...here's what I learned this past weekend:

1. Empty your bucket through writing.

2. Purge: Allow yourself to feel the emotion, no more avoiding or hiding from it.

3. Refiner's Fire & Fuller's Soap: these words are used in the Bible to describe the Lord's ability to purify. He makes possible for me to be able clean up old emotions and feelings. So I repent and forgive when necessary or simply let go of the old "stuff." After writing my daughter Mimi likes to shred her paper. I like to burn mine (my refiners fire).

These three steps are how I like to 

                                          Break Free



                                                      from the cycles of depression

                                                                                                  and HEAL.

No comments: