Saturday, April 21, 2012

Don't wait to be asked

"Call me if you need anything."

How many times have we heard that or said it ourselves?
How many people actually take us up on our offer and call us? I know I have said it but I am trying harder to notice needs of others and do something without waiting to be asked.

I read a really good article the other day about someone who called her sick and bedridden friend and asked simply, "I’ve had you on my mind. I need to spend a few minutes with you to see if I can cheer you up a little. Do you think you could sit up and tolerate company for about 45 minutes?”
What she ended up doing was giving her a manicure and visiting with her.

I like the last paragraph,
"If my friend had called and asked me if there was 'anything she could do' for me, I would have told her no. If she had asked if she could come and give me a manicure, I surely would have refused, thinking it was the last thing I needed or wanted. She said only that she cared and wanted to cheer me up—and she fulfilled that promise by physically touching my hands and spiritually touching my heart."

To read the whole article: