Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Skiing down a Mt. Everest

My Mr. and I

 Skiing in fresh powder makes me giggle!! 

This was seriously the funnest date we have had this whole year. I bought him two lift ticket vouchers for Christmas. Fun family activities create memories! When he opened the envelope he said, "Sweet! I can go twice!" Lol. I love his humor. I replied by saying, "Or....you can take your wife!" (That is the only reason I bought two tickets!)

The day we went the lady at the ticket office asked us, "Do you really want to use these today? The weekday lift price for locals is only $...these vouchers are good for all the lifts on the mountain and you can come back and ski on the weekend." We decided to buy the  tickets that were $30 cheaper and I'm really glad we did. It had been several years since we last skied and it always takes me awhile to get used to skiing again. Plus that meant we got to ski twice! And there was tons of fresh powder the second time. At least a half a foot on the groomed trails and over a foot when we would ski off trail through the trees. SO MUCH FUN!

Our second time skiing there was this particular hill that Ben and I kept crashing on. I would just giggle because it was like landing in a pile of feathers there was so much snow. It was hard because I've never skied in that much powder before. The easy route would have to pop out of my skis and just walked down that hill but I was determined to conquer it and I did! If you feel like giving up on a certain challenge, don't. Keep pressing forward in faith, help will come, though maybe not in the way you thought. It's not always easy but you are never left alone to face your heartbreaks when you turn towards your Savior. 




It was Hillary Weeks song "Beautiful Heartbreak" that finally convinced me to blog about my mental illness. (You can read that post here). I like the part in the song that talks about our view from the top of our mountains of adversity. There are eternal rewards for overcoming challenges and learning to rely on and trust our Savior. And, just think, after you've made the climb, you can ski down the other side!


No comments: